Ways you can support immigrants over the coming months:
- Donate to Freedom House
- A temporary home for survivors of persecution from around the world. Freedomhousedetroit.org.
- Tutor at All Saints Literacy Center
- Helps adults reach their educational, social, and career goals by improving their literacy skills. Find out more at allsaintsliteracy.org, email email@example.com, or call (313)-297-1399.
- Create Community with Breaking Our Silence
- Conversations where neighbors come together to work toward creating more caring communities. Email Repair the World Fellow Aaron Appel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Become a Cultural Ambassador with Global Detroit
- Encourages immigrants to become U.S. citizens
- Teach entrepreneurship skills with Prosperus Detroit
- Helps immigrants or African-American entrepreneurs More information at Prosperusdetroit.org
- Host International visitors with Global Ties Detroit
- Open up your home to visitors as a homestay or meeting with international visitors to share about Detroit and American culture. Check out Globaltiesdetroit.org.
- Volunteer with Samaritas
- A refugee resettlement agency that sets up apartments, acts as a cultural mentor, and fundraises Samaritas.org.
In Support Of Puerto Rico
In the wake of Hurricane Maria, we see a nation trying to survive after a devastating disaster and an equally devastating governmental response. The Comité Cultural Boricua de Detroit (CCBDET@gmail.com) was formed in order to concentrate and maximize these collective efforts within Metro Detroit. Thousands of pounds of donations have been gathered, and we realized the potential in joining together to increase the impact of our efforts. We have raised funds, shipped massive amounts of food and supplies, planned fundraisers and awareness events, and established partnerships on the island. Through these partnerships we hope to ensure help and supplies are reaching the most vulnerable. Below is some information and a few links that may be helpful.